|Photo/The Hungry Dudes|
Here in the south (Yes, the U.S. Census Bureau considers Oklahoma a southern state!), black-eyes peas and collards are eaten on New Year's for luck (peas) and money (greens). This delicious recipe, from 400 Calorie Fix: The Easy New Rule for Permanent Weight Loss!, will keep you coming back for luck throughout the year!
While surfing Flickr's mouth watering food photography, I noticed that The Hungry Dude's wrap their black-eyes peas and collards in a tortilla wrap. How yummy is that! So if you like wrap sandwiches, try it out. If that doesn't sound appealing, make this recipe as a delicious side to any meal. Mission Wraps are around 210 calories each, so you'll get a total of 370 calories for the whole shebang.
1 serving = 1 cup
Amount per serving
Calories:160 ♥ Fat: 5g ♥ Saturated fat: 0.5g ♥ Protein: 9g ♥ Carbohydrate: 21g ♥ Fiber: 6g ♥ Sodium: 440mg ♥ Calcium: 15%
Black-Eyed Peas and Collards
- 3/4 pound collard greens or other greens such as kale, mustard, or turnip
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15-16 ounces) black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 meatless smoked sausage finely chopped (such as Lightlife Chorizo Style)
- Remove the tough stems from the collard greens. Place the leaves in a large bowl with water to remove any dirt and grit.
- Drain, rinse well, and cut into strips.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft about two minutes.
- Add the black-eyes peas, broth, liquid smoke, and meatless sausage; Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until the greens are soft, up to 40 minutes.
- If desired, remove the lid during the last 5 minutes to boil off some of the liquid.
- Remove from stove.
- Spoon black-eyes peas and collards onto warmed tortillas.
- Roll tortilla up tight and enjoy!
Interested in more 400 calorie recipes?