I always keep a package of tofu in the fridge perchance I come across a cookbook like Moosewood. The dish names alone had my mouth watering and my hands reaching for the tofu. There are three pages dedicated to stovetop tofu: Tropical Lime Tofu, Saucy Miso Tofu, Pomegranate-glazed, and Orange-glazed Tofu on Greens. Other recipes in the book include: apricot orange twist smoothie; green eggs no ham; sweet potato soup; apple and chipotle soup; vegetables in spicy lemongrass-tamarind sauce; and savory asparagus and mushroom bread pudding.
This recipe serves 4.
Per Serving: 144 calories, 9g protein, 6g carbs, 0g fiber, 10g fat
Tropical Lime Tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 cake of firm tofu (about 16 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or red pepper flakes
1) In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and cumin seeds, if using, and cook for 1 minute.
2) Add the tofu cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 8 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, whisk together the ground cumin, lime juice, soy sauce, and pepper.
4) When the tofu is golden, pour the lime juice mixture over it and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed, about 6 minutes.
My Tropical Lime Tofu is served over a bed of rice with chopped roma tomatoes and banana peppers. I love this recipe! Now I can't wait to try the other four stovetop tofus!
Find On Amazon