It's a tradition in the south to start your day with a heaping plate of sausage gravy and buttery biscuits. It tends to fill you up for the better part of the day. Mid-morning snacks? Not necessary. You are full until mid-day.
I was enjoying a hearty breakfast of home-made biscuits and old fashioned country gravy before I learned to crawl and was a teenager before I realized that this was not a healthy way to start the day. At least not made with traditional ingredients such as bacon grease, flour, milk, and fat-heavy sausage. I haven't eaten biscuits and gravy in a very long time.
This recipe is from Cooking Light Annual Recipes (2005 Edition), which has over 1,000 delicious recipes, and can be bought ridiculously cheap at Amazon. The lowest price I saw was 0.2 cents plus shipping. Not bad when the original price in 2005 was $34.95. All of the recipes that I've made from this book have turned out fantastic. Highly recommend!
Yield: 8 Servings
Per Serving: Calories: 268 ♥ Fat: 8.7g ♥ Fiber 0.6g
Biscuits and Vegetarian "Sausage" GravyIngredients
- 1 (16.3-ounce) can reduced-fat refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 (14-ounce) package meatless fat-free sausage (such as Lightlife Gimme Lean)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1) Prepare biscuits according to package directions. I am using Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits Wheat Reduced Fat with a cooking time of approximately 12-14 minutes.
2) Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage. Cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Crumble sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and return to pan. I am using Morningstar Farms Crumbles, which is precrumbled and delicious!
3) Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine flour and milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
6) Split biscuits in half. Place 2 biscuit halves on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup gravy.Serve immediately.
This is absolutely incredibly delicious! It tastes exactly like the hearty stick-to-your-ribs sausage gravy that I grew up eating. Cooking light doesn't mean eating less. Cooking light means eating old favorites in a whole new and delicious way.
Find On Amazon