Sandwiches are my comfort food. This is probably because I have so many fond memories of curling up on the couch with a book in one hand and a sandwich in the other. Messy? Sure. Worth it? Without a doubt.
This weekend I set out to find a proper ham and cheese recipe and found it in The Most Decadent Diet Ever!: the cookbook that reveals the secret to cooking your favorites in a healthier way has an entire section dedicated to scrumptious sandwiches. Each serving of this recipe is only a scandalous 290 calories. Shhhh!
Open-Face Ham & Cheese SandwichIngredients
- 1 slice multigrain or seven-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons honey mustard
- 3 1/2 ounces shaved 97% fat-free deli ham
- 1 3/4 ounce slice light Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
1) First, preheat the broiler and pop the bread in the toaster.
2) Lay the toasted slice of bread on a small nonstick baking sheet. Spread the mustard evenly over the slice.
4) Place the sheet on the top oven rack and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the ham is warm through.
It is that easy. True heaven on earth is an open-face ham & cheese. Enjoy!