Looking for a healthy stew recipe? Then this easy recipe from the Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook could be for you. Ingredients include eight of the worlds healthiest foods: garlic, sweet potatoes, beef (grass-fed), onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, olive oil (extra virgin), and thyme. Recent studies have shown that white and red wines are equal when it comes to raising “good” HDL cholesterol, so even the dry white wine has benefits. What are we waiting for? Let's get cookin'.
Yield: 6 servings
Weight Watchers Points+: 7
Amount per serving (1 cup)
Calories: 327 ♥ Fat: 8g ♥ Protein: 31g ♥ Carb: 18g ♥ Fiber: 3
No-Fuss French Style Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ pounds beef top round, trimmed and cut into 1 ½ -inch chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, broken up and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs tied together with kitchen string + 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound oyster, chanterelle, or white mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- Heat oil in medium Dutch oven (heavy pot that is suitable for stovetop or oven) over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add all remaining ingredients except mushrooms and thyme leaves to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms to pot and simmer, covered, until meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour longer.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Serve sprinkled with thyme leaves.