|Photo/Little Blue Hen|
I love making my own cereal, and nothing beats a heart-healthy bowl of granola! Try this deliciously crunchy recipe from Carol Gelles' 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes.
Makes 4 cups
Serves 6 to 8
Brown Sugar Granola
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown or dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple or orange juice
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup raisins (add more for extra sweetness!)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place the butter or margarine in a 9 X 13-inch baking pan. Place in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted.
- Stir in the sugar until dissolved; stir in the juice.
- Add the oats, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. Stir until coated with butter-sugar mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes stirring once or twice.
- Add the wheat germ and oat brown to the pan. Toss to combine.
- Bake 10 minutes longer, stirring once.
- Stir in the raisins.