|Photo /Bryan Maleszyk|
Watermelon and Feta cheese -- what an unexpectedly wonderful combination. This combo is a Greek favorite that I have great appreciation for. Watermelon and Feta Salad is from Alice Storey's fantastic 200 Super Salads (color photo for each recipe!!!).
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 2 minutes
Watermelon & Feta Salad
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 lb watermelon
- 6 oz feta cheese
- 1 3/4 lb arugula
- sprigs of mint, parsley, and cilantro
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate syrup (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat a skillet and dry-fry the sesame seeds for 2 minutes until aromatic, then set aside.
- Peel, seed, and dice the watermelon and dice the feta. Arrange the watermelon and feta on a large plate with the arugula and herbs.
- Beat together the oil, orange flower water, lemon juice, pomegranate syrup (if used), and the sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle over the salad.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve with toasted pita bread.