Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 8 minutes
Makes 4 servings
293 calories, 10g protein, 41g carbs, 10g fat
- 1 can (15 to 15 1/2 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 5 tablespoons plain dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 slice pickled jalapeno chili, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 hamburgers (wheat!) buns, warmed
- 4 lettuce leaves
- cilantro leaves, sliced red onion, and sour cream (optional)
1) In medium bowl, with potato masher, mash beans until almost smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons salsa, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, chipotle sauce, cumin, and jalapeno until combined.
2) Place remaining 3 tablespoons bread crumbs on sheet of waxed paper. With floured hands, shape bean mixture into four 3-inch patties; coat with bread crumbs.
3) In a nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add patties and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and heated through, about 8 minutes.
4) Spoon remaining 1/2 cup salsa on bottom halves of buns; top with lettuce and burgers. Serve burgers with cilantro, red onion, and sour cream, if you like.