The Better Homes test kitchen tested and perfected over 1,400 mouthwatering recipes for this cookbook's 14th edition. All of their cookbooks are classics, and my mom's old cookbooks have many marks of approval (stars) and many food stains as aknowledgements of frequent use. Even as a child, I knew that the cookbook with the red gingham cover was the "good" one, the one used on special occassions.
The 14th edition steps into the modern age with a new format and all-new "20-Minute" chapter. Better Homes and Gardens changes with the times but still remains true to its simple straightforward style. This is a reference you won't want to cook without.
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots
- 1 pound peeled baby carrots or medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Dash salt
- Black pepper
Note~For Gluten Free Butter Brands,the gluten free bar lists the following: Land of Lakes, Smart Balance, Earth Balance, Organic Valley.
1) In a medium saucepan cook carrots, covered in a small amount of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain: remove carrots from pan.
2) In the same saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until combined. Add carrots. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until glazed. Season to taste with pepper.