With five cans of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) in the pantry, I am desperate for a quick and easy recipe to pare it down. It looks like a crazed chickpea lover lives in my house, and it is me! Chickpea Stew from Michele Scicolone's The Italian Slow Cooker looks to be just the thing to return my pantry to normalcy. I love slow cooker recipes, and I can't wait to try this one. This recipe serves 6.
- Three 16-oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes with their juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, canned chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
PreparationCombine all the ingredients in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Serve hot or at room temperature. I added the whole can of vegetable broth because the sides were beginning to scorch.