|Broiled Macaroni and Cheese|
There are a gazillion different ways to prepare macaroni and cheese, but this is my absolute favorite.The extra cheesy sauce and broiled tomatoes add a whole new dimension of deliciousness to ordinary macaroni and cheese.
This recipe can be found in Vegetarian Fast Food: Over 200 Delicious Dishes in Minutes by Rose Elliot and serves 2.
Broiled Macaroni and Cheese with TomatoIngredients
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking elbow macaroni
- 1 or 2 medium to large tomatoes
- breadcrumbs made from 1 small slice of stale bread (I substituted Italian Bread Crumbs)
- 1 tbs finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 3 tbs finely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Preparation1) Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add macaroni. Cook uncovered until macaroni is al dente.
2) Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. When it froths, stir in about a third of the milk then beat well, over the heat, until it thickens. Repeat until all the milk has been used. Don't worry if it goes lumpy, just keep beating.