“roasted over coals"
Serves 4, Calories: 108, Fat: 2 G
- 4 ounces Italian Bread, cut into 8 slices
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1) In a toaster oven or under the broiler, toast the bread on both sides. Cut 1 clove of garlic in half and rub both sides of the toast with it. Set aside.
2) In a small pot of boiling water, cook the remaining garlic cloves for 2 minutes to blanch. Transfer the garlic to the cutting board and mince. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, oil, salt, pepper, and the minced garlic.
Helpful Hints from the book: If the tomatoes you're using seem watery, halve them crosswise and squeeze out some of the juice before dicing them. Even with meaty tomatoes, the topping will tend to soak into and soften the toast, so don't make the bruschetta until right before you are ready to serve it.